Who can have a NHS vasectomy?
We are providing vasectomies for patients from East Berkshire CCG and Buckinghamshire CCG. However, West Berks has unfortunately stopped commissioning any NHS vasectomies and Oxford CCG has currently suspended NHS vasectomies. if in doubt, ask your GP. You do not have to live in these areas, but you have to be registered in a practice, who belongs to one of these CCGs. Thus, patients in certain adjacent areas i.e. Wraysbury and Englefield Green in Surrey may also benefit from an NHS vasectomy with us, because their practices are part of the CCGs quoted above. If in doubt, please ask your practice receptionist or practice manager.
Can I book a NHS vasectomy directly with you?
Yes, once your GP has referred you to us you can contact the service and arrange a mutually convenient appointment.
What do I need to do before I come to the clinic?
We will email you a Welcome Pack and send you 2 links to Online Forms to complete that will directly save into your patient pack. We can then look at those forms.
Where can I find out more information
If you look around this website almost all questions should be answered. Familiarising yourself with this website (particularly the menu “More about NSV”, which contains the clinical FAQs, why vasectomy, why not having a vasectomy and alternatives to vasectomy means that you are comprehensively informed. If you are under 30 and want a vasectomy, please look at the “young patient” part of the website and submit the form. As not to get into trouble on the day, familiarise yourself with directions to Thames Valley Vasectomy Services.
Advantages of an NHS vasectomy with TVVS
- It’s free
- 18 week waiting target guaranteed, likely to be significantly quicker.
- Same high quality method.
- CCG contracts say 2 appointments needed (i.e. a consultation, a wait and then a vasectomy).
Advantages of a private procedure with TVVS
- Shorter waiting time (less than 2 weeks)
- Easier aftercare package
- Don’t have to see your GP, just call.
- Larger choice of appointments
- “One-Stop” Appointment Guaranteed
We offer “One-Stop” appointments to our private patients for added convenience. However our NHS contract specifies that we consult patients before their vasectomy and give a “cooling off” period. In some cases we can offer NHS patients “One-stop” appointments too. Please remember these are an absolute privilege. Our NHS contract stipulates 2 appointments and as the NHS pays, we need to do a strict assessment. If we determine 2 appointments our decision is final AND you cannot object or complain (because it is contractual NHS policy). So, who may we see in a One-stop appointment?
- Your GP letter shows you are determined to have a vasectomy and there is no doubt in your mind. It also shows you were counseled well by your GP.
- You are responsive when communicating with us showing determination and focus to have a vasectomy. There is clearly no doubt in your mind.
- A series of questions do not identify a health risk. If there is a risk, please be honest, because I dont want to have to cancel your appointment on the day for an unknown risk. Sometimes I can discuss a risk on a phone, sometimes I have to bring you in for a consultation.
- You do not repeatedly change appointments.
- You are not “too busy at work to have this vasectomy”, again this is about not being distracted, but focused.
- You never have not attended an appointment (very frequently non-attendance has in our experience to do with a lack of motivation often due to the fact you are not quite ready yet, a risk we cannot take).
- You have no medical or social reasons that we need to see you beforehand.
- You have completed 2 online forms emailed to you and they have successfully saved into your records.
If after a series of questions my secretary feels you are ok for a “one-stop” appointment she will offer it to you as an option and email you a Welcome Pack and 2 links to online forms. You need to complete these forms, which will save directly into your medical record and give the doctor information about you. They are also informative and will be helpful to you in understanding the process and your own and our needs. Please inform you when you have completed the forms.